Thank you for your interest in the Diesel Mechanic position.
Competitive Wages and Excellent Benefits Package
Join our Outstanding Team of Maintenance Professionals to Maintain Our Fleet of Diesel, Hybrid, and Electric Buses.
Click here to fill out our online application.
At our brand-new state-of-the-art facility, 665 Cottage Street, Springfield, MA 01104
Qualified Candidates Have:
- Recent and relevant diesel mechanic experience preferred. Will consider well qualified automotive mechanics.
- Availability to work full-time: The initial 90-day training period typically occurs on the first shift. However, upon completion of training, the normal work shift is likely to be second shift (4 p.m. - 12:00 midnight). Shifts and days off are based on seniority. Guaranteed 40 hours/week. Voluntary overtime available.
- A high school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent.
- Reliable with strong work ethic and safe driving record.
- Own standard mechanical hand tools and a mobile storage cabinet.
- A desire to succeed.
Selected Candidates Enjoy:
- Premium Health Insurance and Benefits Package
- Fully Funded Pension Retirement Plan and 401K
- Competitive Wages
- Generous Annual Safety, Tool, & Shoe Allowance, currently at $875/yr.
- On-site Employee Fitness Center
- Company sponsored CDL Training Program
- Employee Bus Pass, Guaranteed full-time hours & opportunity for overtime.
- Internal opportunities for growth
This position performs repairs and replacement of diesel and gasoline engine accessories as required; rebuilds engine parts and other vehicle parts including brakes; repairs all vehicles (gas and diesel) including repairs to air conditioners; makes road calls by driving a service truck or bus; assists mechanics in troubleshooting vehicular problems including electrical systems, engines, etc.; learns and applies diagnostic, troubleshooting and repair skills; and assumes additional responsibilities as required.
Following the 90-day Probationary Period, you are required to become a Bargaining Unit Employee and pay related Union Dues.
To Be Considered
Once we receive your application, a Company representative may contact you to obtain additional information. Please be sure to include a current phone number on your application. If you are selected for an Interview, SATCo’s Office of Human Resources will notify you to schedule a time for an initial phone interview.
If you are selected for an in-person interview, please be aware of the following:
You will be asked to bring your current license and current driving record to the Interview, including driving records from any state in which you lived in the past 10 years. Driving records must reflect a safe driving history, especially within the most recent 7 years. Driving Records generally cannot be dated more than 30-days from the Interview date in order to be considered current. Your driving record must reflect a safe and responsible driving history. Helpful Tip: If you resided outside the State of Massachusetts, it is advisable to obtain your Out-of-State Driving Record/s as soon as possible since it can often take significant time to do so. Doing so will expedite RMV verification process if you are selected for an Interview.
You will be asked to complete an application packet and bring it with you to the interview.
If you are selected for one of our positions, please be aware of the following:
Based on DOT Regulatory Requirements, any Commercial Driving position you previously held within the past two years will be subject to verification of Drug and Alcohol Testing Records from those previous employers.
Candidates who are offered a position must pass a Pre-Employment DOT Physical and Drug Screen. We will schedule this appointment for you at our designated Medical Provider. We will also assist you with self-certifying your new medical card.
All Work History within the past 7 years must be verifiable to be considered for a Bus Operator position, especially Commercial Driving positions (e.g., for those who already have a CDL A).
Your post-offer Criminal Background Check (CORI) must not reveal any disqualifying criminal history.
Upon hire, the company will assist you with obtaining your DPU card if you do not already have one.