PVTA now offers Travel Training for seniors and people with mobility impairments who are motivated to learn how to safely and independently use thefixed route system.
Our Travel Trainers provide personalized, one-on-one instruction which takes each trainee’s unique needs and abilities into account. Sessions are primarily field-based and can focus on destination travel (how to get to a specific destination and back) or general orientation (how to use fixed-route buses). Trainees select their travel destinations which typically include: work, medical appointments, schools, shopping malls, and other recreation sites.
Travel Training is self-paced and is conducted in a series of steps from initial one-on-one instruction to the gradual fading of trainer assistance leading to independent travel. An instructor will stay with participants until they feel comfortable and confident riding the bus.
Travel Skills: Trainees who successfully complete one-on-one training will be able to travel to and from their destination and do the following:
- Arrive on time and safely at their bus stop
- Pay fares, via cash or pass, and request a transfer (if applicable)
- Identify, board, and disembark from the bus
- Use ID card appropriately
- Understand how to gather information
- Manage an unexpected situation
- Demonstrate appropriate behavior and bus etiquette
- Cross streets independently and safely
- Be aware of how to interact with strangers
Costs: Travel Training is provided free-of-charge except for the trainee’s bus fare while training is taking place.
Benefits of Travel Training:
- Enhances freedom, mobility and independence
- Provides access to safe and low-cost transportation
- Increases self-confidence
- Promotes healthy living by helping people stay active in the community
Eligibility: Participants must-
- Have a residence and destination on or near a PVTA bus route
- Be able to get to and from a bus stop
- Be 13 years-of-age or older
- Meet agency admission criteria
- Successfully complete a pre-mobility training assessment
Contact Us: For further information please contact PVTA’s Mobility Services Coordinator at (413) 732-6248 ext. 235.